Friday, December 19, 2008

Dead It Should Not Be

Sometimes we come to things in funny ways--the wrong way, so to speak, but it turns out to be the right way after all. I thought I didn't know how exactly I had come upon Adrian McKinty's work in the first place, because ordinarily, I am not someone lured in by blurbs like "Tough guy fiction at its gory, heart-stopping best." (The Miami Herald), or "peppered with enough violence to make Martin Scorsese wince" (Rocky Mountain News)

Such are the phrases on my paperback copy of The Bloomsday Dead, but of course now we come to the title and you have the answer to the mystery. Because of course a book that uses Bloomsday in the title means to have some traffic with James Joyce, and Ulysses, and having slogged my way through that fat tome, I feel entitled to all the Joycean reference perks I can get my hands on.

I'm not going to talk about The Bloomsday Dead, though. At least not right now. Or at least more than to say that after I started it, I realized that I was three books into a trilogy, which obviously isn't the best place to start, and yet I was already so sucked in that I decided to take my chances.

Well, you shouldn't follow my lead because you are going to get some major spoilers about the troubled saga of Michael Forsythe, immigrant/exile/fugitive from Northern Ireland if you do. So begin, as is usually wise, at the beginning. Find yourself a copy of Dead I Well May Be and hunker down with it.

That is if you can find it. I think you can, because there are used copies and library copies to be had, and it looks like you might be able to download it on Kindle, should you be so fortunate as to own one.But in print? No. Despite being the crucial first volume in a crime trilogy, the publishers have seen fit to take it out of print, which means you can't just walk into your local bookstore and pick up a copy, or even order it all that easily. I won't rant about that too much here, I'll only say persist. Find the book. It's worth the effort.

Despite warning you against this, I actually had a lot of enjoyment out of reading this book out of sequence. There is something to be said for reading the past while knowing what lies ahead. It allows you to be a bit more leisurely. You are not quite so swept along by the plot. (Though there are still plenty of surprises here even for one who, Cassandra-like, knows the future.)

Let's just say briefly, without giving anything away, that there is a kind of doom around young Michael Forsythe. Whether it's a Northern Irish doom, or a more personal one is hard to say. When, early on in the story, you get a glimpse of a real ruthlessness in him, and realize that this guy is not exactly like you and me (or at least he's not like me), you do actually have to find a way of reconciling that within yourself, because you've already identified with him and his situation. Still, there is some, what?--emptiness?--at the core of him that is never really explained, perhaps not really explainable, but which feels real, not cartoonlike. You see that he's been hardened, and yet you also see the cost.

There are many and various pleasures in this book. The action/adventure buff will certainly not go away disappointed. For me, though, two types of things stand out. There are the literary references, alluded to with a light and deft hand, which won't matter if you miss them, but will add to your pleasure if you spot them. And, more importantly, there is McKinty's power of observation in every setting, whether Belfast or New York or wherever, but especially of the nuances between different types of people and cultures. Let us just say he has not passed through the places on this earth that he's lived and visited with a veil drawn over his eyes.

So go track down a copy of this. You can probably find the copy I lost in Santa Cruz somewhere, for instance. Meantime, check out his always entertaining if highly opinionated blog. And then get yourself on some sort of waiting list for Fifty Grand, his forthcoming novel. It's a stand-alone, or at least the first in a series, and those in the know (which wouldn't be me, by the way) say it's his best yet.

Also, if you're interested in a slightly less meandering, more on point discussion of Michael Forsythe, check Brian O'Rourke's blog for his take on all this. And you can check out one of Peter Rozovsky's McKinty posts at the always scintillating Detectives Without Borders here, which will in turn lead you on to an interview with McKinty himself.

7 comments:

  1. Seanag

    Thank you for the careful look and the plug of course.

    Yeah its ridiculously difficult to get a new copy of DIWMB. I'm afraid the only option in the US is to get as a UK import from Amazon.co.uk. Sorry about that. The publishers for reasons known only to themselves choose to keep it out of print and wont revert the rights back to me. The worst of all possible worlds.

    Anyway glad you liked the book when it wasnt initially your cup of tea.

    A....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Adrian. I was going to post this on to you at some point, but it's better you found it on your own.

    I will just clarify to say that it isn't that either book, Bloomsday Dead or DIWMB wasn't initially my cup of tea. They both were immediately my cup of tea. What I'm saying is that blurbs can lead you astray. They aim for one audience and don't always acknowledge that there may be quite another. I actually have no problem with blood spattered narratives, witness the fact that I'm now in the middle of the second Jean-Claude Izzo Marseilles book, Chourmo. I'm barely on page 50 and three people have been shot in cold blood already. What I'm not really interested in is violence just for the sake of violence. Or just for the sake of profit more like. I guess I want to know that there's some inner life, though doubtless if I think long enough about this, I'll realize all kinds of exceptions to this too.

    Anyway, you won't profit, but it's actually not hard to beg, borrow or steal a copy of DIWMB in the U.S. I don't know if anyone else will even read this, frankly, but I'd hate to think they felt deterred by the publisher limbo the book is in currently. Do you think that the fact that it can apparently be downloaded on Kindle is why the publishing house is reluctant to give you back the rights? Or are they just dog in the manger types there? Dog in the manger? Is that really the saying?

    I realized that I should make Fifty Grand a link to the only book business that's actually doing well this holiday season. You know who. It starts with A and it's not you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, our man McKinty is not the easiest of authors to blurb, is he?

    V-word is something that occasionally overcomes me when I blog late at night: blear
    ==============
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    “Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home”
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I think, by the way, that you touched nicely on several salient points.

    This v-word sounds like something painful that could, however, be managed with medication: enstocya

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of writing the jacket copy for him. You wouldn't want to tone down the mayhem because many people will read and enjoy it for this, but emphasize it too much and you turn people away who would like it anyway.

    Thanks for finding salient points. I was wandering around so much about the process that I realized that I didn't actually get in a whole lot of plot.

    Also, if you have post a link to your own Michael Forsythe review(s)here, I'll add it to the main body of the blog as I just did Brian O'Rourke's. It's not like this is likely to generate a whole lot of publicity for your blog as few read this one, but it couldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll find my Michael Forsythe comments here.

    Salient points that you captured:

    -- The sense of doom hanging around Forsythe.
    -- His ruthlessness.
    -- The eye for settings and cultures.
    -- The literary references.

    And nice use of "hunker down" in your post.
    ==============
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh, yeah...'hunker down'.

    Thanks for the comments on salient points. I read the link and the link to the interview before I edited it into the blog post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete