Thursday, December 30, 2010

Hidden Moon, an Inspector O mystery by James Church

The second in Church's Inspector O series. Although it's not a plot spoiler, very far along in this book I've found a key passage that I think explains Inspector O and Church's own stance on the fate of the people of North Korea. You can wait and read it in the book or read it here. It's not something it will hurt to read twice:

"This isn't about you, Inspector, it's about something bigger. The future of your country. Your people's future."

"You have no idea what you're talking about, do you? You're just reciting some crap they told you at a briefing. My country's future?  Forgive me... I don't know anything that flourishes when it's watered with blood. Let's not float away on visions of the future. Your man, whoever he is and whatever he's done, is not my problem. Am I clear? If you have a bone to pick with him, take care of it yourself, on your own turf. What happens here is not yours to worry about. It's for us, it's our business, our future, our fate."

"Surely you don't believe that."

"Don't tell me what I believe. I live here, you don't." 

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!
    ==========================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's about the only place I've seen Church spell out anything like a philosophy of foreign engagement.

    Happy New Year to everyone who finds there way here!

    ReplyDelete