Monday, January 24, 2011

Ireland Reading Challenge for 2011

I really didn't think I was going to do any of these challenges this year. Frankly, they stress me out. But following the example of Bookwitch and Dorte, which I know can only be a good thing, I've decided to go for it--the Ireland Reading Challenge. I'm even going for the hardest level, the Kiss the Blarney Stone level, which is six books by Irish writers in 2011.

The way I see it, I'm already good for one, having just finished Stuart Neville's Collusion, and I know I'll be reading Adrian McKinty's Falling Glass as soon as it comes out this spring. Then I've got a whole host of others up my sleeve, like Ken Bruen, Brian McGilloway and Declan Burke. The thing just writes itself, basically.

Go ahead, sign up. You can take the Shamrock level and only do two...that is, if you're chicken... 

4 comments:

  1. I'll break with usual practice and begin with my v-word: chewers.

    I think a better challenge for some of us would be to read six books from each of Ireland's 32 counties.
    ==========================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Chewers" could be a new word for books that require some thought and contemplation. Kind of the opposite of pageturners.

    I don't think six books is all that much to ask, frankly. But last year I failed Dorte's challenge even on the easy level, not because I didn't read six international novels, but because I couldn't get around to all the regions. It's a great idea, though, and though I know you're already aware of it, Peter, if anyone is reading down here, it's happening again this year at 2011 Global Reading Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually I´d consider six books from one small area a lot, but I have read plenty of Scottish crime during my two years´ blogging so I thought it was a good idea to review some of the Irish books that were calling out to me from the shelf. I have only read one, but the next four are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the Ireland Challenge! I look forward to hearing about the books you're reading.

    ReplyDelete