Friday, July 6, 2018

Santa Cruz Noir--blogging the book. Day 13, "Treasure Island," by Micah Perks

(To learn more about my "blogging the book" challenge to myself, go HERE.)

Noir is not always bleak. Some fine writers of noir use dark comedy to great effect. Author and UCSC professor Micah Perks uses such humor in "Treasure Island," a tale told in posts to a website called Good Neighbors. If you have the mixed fortune of belonging to one of these networks, I suspect you've come across someone like the narrator. If you're anything like me, you'll probably find the tale cathartic. If you're more like the narrator, you might take it as a cautionary tale...

Me: (Holding out trash bag) Three juvenile delinquents stuffed this trash in your 'Little Library' again."
"Writer": (apparently Asian male, apparently in his thirties, in pajamas, per usual): "Okay."
Me: I've warned you before that your so-called 'Little Library' attracts vagrants."
"Writer": "Books attract vagrants?"
Me: "Have you been to the downtown library? It's basically a homeless shelter."
"Writer": (taking bag) "Thanks, Mr. Nowicki, I'll take care of it."
(NOTE: "Writer" is not on Good Neighbor! even though I have invited him by email multiple times.)


Audible sample of "Treasure Island" by Micah Perks HERE. Read by Richard Ferrone.


No comments:

Post a Comment