Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Santa Cruz Noir--blogging the book, Day Four." Monarchs and Maidens" by Margaret Elysia Garcia

(To learn more about my "blogging the book" challenge to myself, go HERE.)

Like several other writers in this anthology, Margaret Elysia Garcia wears many hats. She has a couple of collections of short stories out there, she's the cofounder of a microtheater company that travels around the High Sierras, and she's writing a book on plus-size models.

When I met her after the Skylight Books event, I told her how much I had enjoyed, Madison, the child that features in the story.

"I hate that kid!" she said.

"That's what I mean," I said. Madison falls into the characters you love to hate category. Check out the audio sample below and you'll see what I mean.

First, though check out the beautiful passage about the butterflies that annually descend on Natural Bridges State Park. Yes, it's real. On top of all the other natural beauty here, we also sometimes are graced with this.

If you're like me and don't have the best vision, you don't notice the butterflies at first. But as you go closer to the trees, you realize they are moving. Thousands of monarchs beat their wings about the eucalyptus and pine so that trees appear to dance. They move back and forth like a kelp forest in a tide zone. Orange and black and white, so thick that the tree colors are hidden. The farther you go on the trail, the thicker the colony. By the end of the path there seem to be nothing left but the beating of a million orange wings. 

Audible Sample of Margaret Elysia Garcia's "Monarchs and Maidens" HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment